EY Co-Development DevOps Engineer – (Assistant Director) in Columbia, South Carolina
Co-Development DevOps Engineer – (Assistant Director)
Core Business Services
Requisition # UNI00HDJ
Post Date 3 days ago
Reporting to the Co-Development Lead – The DevOps Engineer is responsible for participating in scrum team-based activities that are assigned to AzureGov portfolio initiatives.
The role is responsible for providing subject matter expertise in relation to virtualization & cloud technologies, engineering of new solutions to meet customer needs and building of new automation around IaaS, PaaS, and Network-as-a-service in support of our clients.
The position is a hands-on technical role, assisting in the engineering and integration of existing and leading-edge technologies, collaborating across the organization with multiple internal and sometimes external teams. The candidate would be expected to provide Level 3 (engineering support) and Level 4 (engineering development) type of activities that ensure continuity of the produced solutions that enable businesses. The candidate may be expected to serve as a technical lead on appropriate engagements, ensuring quality and on time delivery within the team.
EY Technology supports our technology needs through three business units:
Client Technology (CT) - focuses on developing new technology services for our clients. It enables EY to identify new technology-based opportunities faster and pursue those opportunities more rapidly.
Enterprise Technology (ET) – ET supports our Core Business Services functions and will deliver fit-for-purpose technology infrastructure at the most affordable possible cost for quality services. ET will also support our internal technology needs by focusing on a better user experience.
Information Security (Info Sec) - Info Sec prevents, detects, responds and mitigates cyber-risk, protecting EY and client data, and our information management systems.
Your key responsibilities
• Broad range of work, sometimes complex and non-routine, in variety of environments
• Interactions with various levels if IT and client serving teams.
• Ability to drive issues to closure and work well within a deadline-driven environment
• A good level of managerial competenceExcellent people skills
• Excellent awareness of different cultures and working practices across the regions
• Good presentation skills with ability to present material clearly and concisely to senior and/or executive management
Skills and attributes for success
• Broad understanding of global environments, including regional issues and differences.
• Demonstrated experience working with a distributed international team, across cultures and time zones with minimal supervision
• Strong ability to interact with all levels of the organization
• Taking ownership of assigned issues/enhancements/features and helping to define a plan and related coordination activities to provide an end to end solution.
• Proactively anticipates problems before they occur; identifies possible causes; works with team to identify solutions; selects and implements most appropriate solution.
• Proactively raising issues to Engineering Lead.
• Produce documents which contain clear, precise descriptive language
• Providing 3rd/4th level support for all solutions produced by the team.
• Applies judgment in implementing methodologies, processes, and practices to specific requirements of projects/programs which may include product design engineering, information security, code maintainability and reliability.
• Provide required training and support to other peer teams for newly designed and developed functionality.
• Utilize approved tools, adopt key performance indicators (KPIs), increase technology component reuse, and consolidate platforms, environments and products with the goal of reducing overall IT costs.
• Proven solution design skillsBeing able to script and automate a solution end-to-end (infrastructure, middleware and application layers).
Additional skills requirements:
• Must demonstrate leadership in a dynamic, fast paced environment with shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills and negotiation skills.
• Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change.
• Ability to work independently in a global organization within the context of a virtual team.
• Experience in selecting and applying service management principles, policies and techniques in client operational environments.
• Customer focused with ability to identify and understand customers needs.
• Able to adapt to change at short notice.
• Creative problem solving and analysis skills with an ability to identify develop and implement solutions to gaps to meet the needs of the business.
• A self-starting individual with a strong work ethic capable of planning and managing own time effectively. Ability to perform under pressure and to work using own initiative as well as part of a team.
• Assertive in potentially difficult situations, engaging diplomacy where necessary.
• Excellent verbal and written (including presentation) communication, influencing and interpersonal skills.
• Able to build relationships and network at all levels.
• Able to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
• Able to think laterally to consider options which will optimize the requirements of the business.
• Takes personal responsibility for making things happen and achieving results. Displays motivation, commitment, perseverance and conscientiousnes
• Fluent English skills in speech and writing.
• Communicative personality.
• Excellent documentation skills.
• Self-supporting and independent attitude.
• Be comfortable with ambiguity and work to reduce this ambiguity wherever possible within all work output
• Experience of working in large brown and green field programs.
What we look for:
• Someone that has defined authority and responsibility for a significant area of work, including technical, financial and quality aspects.
• Establishes functional objectives and delegates assignments.
• Accountable for actions and decisions taken by self and team members.
• Due to our global organization and global operating model there may be cross border reporting lines (no direct team lead within the country).
• This position may have direct reports in different locations.
• This position may require serving in a counselor role and mentoring assigned personnel while ensuring quality deliveries.
• Your manager may be based in another country.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
• Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience
• Experience of IT service business and engineering of multi-year managed services
• From 10-15 years plus of demonstrable enterprise level IT delivery experience
• Cloud (5 years) in an engineering role using service and hosting solutions such as private/public cloud IaaS, PaaS and SaaS platforms. Experience in engineer technical solutions for Microsoft-centric solutions based on industry standards using Azure or other cloud providers IaaS, PaaS and SaaS capabilities. Nice to have Experience with any of the following: O365, Azure, Azure Stack, Azure AD
• Scripting (5 years) – having knowledge and experience with Microsoft PowerShell (required) and Linux shell scripting (preferred). Being able to understand and use best practices of completing tasks and finding solutions using existing or building new scripts to help automate today’s manual infrastructure and application tasks
o Understanding of CI/CD delivery using code management, configuration management and automation tools such as GitHub, VSTS, Ansible, DSC, Puppet, Ambari, Chef, Salt, Jenkins, Maven, etc.
• Configuration Management (3 years) – being able to develop recipes for new solutions to deploy consistent systems, enforce configurations and settings through configuration management systems like PowerShell DSC, Chef or Puppet.
• Web Services, API, REST (1-2 years) – Understanding and having experience with leveraging web services (SOAP), different API endpoints including the usage of REST based APIs to be able to be able to build loosely coupled architectures and solutions that are quick to implement and are easy to monitor.
• Networking (1-3 years) - Have a solid understanding of networking capabilities, including load balancers, web application firewalls, network access control lists (NACLs), security groups, routing, tracing, DNS resolution are key to building efficient and stable solutions that prevent business downtime and provide high availability capabilities.
• Documentation (2-3 years) - Being able to create technical documents that provide insight into the design and implementation of a solution provides teams with the ability to effectively communicate their needs and requirements across the organization. The candidate has to be able to produce clear and concise architecture and design documentation that can assist his team and other peer groups in understanding of the built solutions. The candidate must also be able to communicate complex technical issues with sensitivity to diverse audiences and people with different level of technical understanding that range from entry level support teams, management, and technical engineering resources.
• Operational Support awareness (5 years) – A good understanding of what it takes to support the deployed applications and solutions is key to providing great service to the end users. The candidate has to be able to put themselves into a position of understanding of their consumer pain points to be able to figure out creative ways not only to find quick workarounds but also analyze the root cause of the problem and come up with ideas of resolving them in the long term.
• Source code management (3 years) – Familiarity with source control tools such as Git, Team Foundation Server (TFVC), and SVN are a big part of automation and compliance. Understanding how these tools are and could be used is key to not only provide the proper change control management to new versions of products that are being developed, but also to help provide consistency in deploying those products/solutions throughout environments using automation
• Industry Cloud related certifications
• SAFe Certifications
• Azure AZ400 Certification – Highly Preferred
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
• Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
• Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
• The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
EY provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.